My wife and I recently had the chance to attend a marriage retreat for pastors and pastor's wives. Andrea and I had a great time focusing on relationship for a few days. One of the guest speakers was a trained counselor named Ben Brumley. During his talk, he cited some pretty surprising statistics regarding marriage. I would love to hear what you think.
1. Average age couples marry
- MEN: 29
- WOMEN: 26
2. Does marriage still matter?
- 65% of adults think marriage is obsolete
- 90% of adults get married
3. Regarding birth order
- Most successful marriages are those when then female is the oldest of boys and the husband is the youngest of girls
- Highest divorce rate is when a firstborn married another firstborn
4. Personal happiness
Personal happiness before marriage usually determines happiness after marriage.
5. Three big factors
If a couple getting married is not currently pregnant, have reasonable employment, and a high school education, they have a 90% staying married.
6. How to almost guarantee a successful marriage.
The couples with a 99% chance of staying together are the couples that pray.
7. Statistically, 75% of marriages fail when one of the partners smoke.
Some of these statistics are pretty shocking. What do you think? I would love to hear your thoughts.